Security Recommendations - Residence Security
| Previous | Stalking Main | Next |
1. Be alert for any suspicious persons.
2. Positively identify callers before opening doors. Install a wide angle viewer in all primary doors.
3. Install a porch light at a height which would discourage removal.
4. Install dead bolts on all outside doors. If you cannot account for all keys, change door locks. Secure spare keys. Place a dowel in sliding glass doors and
all sliding windows.
5. Keep garage doors locked at all times. Use an electric garage door opener.
6. Install adequate outside lighting.
7. Trim shrubbery. Install locks on fence gates.
8. Keep fuse box locked. Have battery lanterns in residence.
9. Install a loud exterior alarm bell that can be manually activated in more than one location.
10. Maintain an unlisted phone number. Alert household members to unusual and wrong number calls. If such activity continues, notify local law enforcement
11. Any written or telephone threat should be treated as legitimate and must be checked out. Notify the appropriate law enforcement agency.
12. All adult members of the household should be trained in the use of any firearm kept for protection. It should be stored out of reach of children.
13. Household staff should have a security check prior to employment and should be thoroughly briefed on security precautions. Strictly enforce a policy of
the staff not discussing family matters or movement with anyone.
14. Be alert for any unusual packages, boxes, or devices on the premises. Do not disturb such objects.
15. Maintain all-purpose fire extinguishers in the residence and in the garage. Install a smoke detector system.
16. Tape emergency numbers on all phones.
17. When away from the residence for an evening, place lights and radio on a timer. For extended absences, arrange to have deliveries suspended.
18. Intruders will attempt to enter unlocked doors or windows without causing a disturbance. Keep doors and windows locked.
19. Prepare an evacuation plan. Brief household members on plan procedures. Provide ladders or rope for two-story residences.
20. A family dog is one of the least expensive but most effective alarm systems.
21. Know the whereabouts of all family members at all times.
22. Children should be accompanied to school or bus stops.
23. Routes taken and time spent walking should be varied.
24. Require identification of all repair & sales people prior to permitting entry into residence.
25. Always park in a secured garage if available.
26. Inform trusted neighbor regarding situation. Provide neighbor with photo or description of suspect and any possible vehicles.
27. Inform trusted neighbors of any anticipated extended vacations, business trips, etc.
28. During vacations, etc., have neighbors pick up mail and newspapers.
29. If residing in an apartment with on-site manager, provide the manager with a picture of the suspect. If in a secured condominium, provide information to
the doorman or valet.
Copyright © Los Angeles Police Dept., Threat Management Unit. Reprinted with permission from Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. The above information is presented for educational purposes only, and it is not a substitute for legal advice.