MO: State auditor's recommendations to bolster sex offender registry.
May 30, 2002
Among State Auditor Claire McCaskill's recommendations to improve
enforceability of Missouri's sex offender registry:
- Missouri lawmakers should consider revising state law to allow the release
of additional information about registered sex offenders, including physical
descriptions and photographs.
- State lawmakers should consider whether an
appeals process should be established under
which offenders could petition courts to be
relieved of registration requirements after a
- The Legislature should consider establishing local funding methodologies
to help local law enforcers cover costs of enforcing the registration.
- The Department of Corrections should promptly pursue enhancing the
tracking system related to sex offender registration, and strengthen
management oversight and compliance to ensure probation and parole
violation reports are issued for offenders failing to meet registration and
- The Missouri State Highway Patrol should expedite planned
enhancements of its sex offender registration database.
Click here to read the original article.
Source: © 2002 News Tribune