Canada: Ontario willing to foot bill for national sex offender registry: Harris.
September 6, 2001
By Louise Elliott
TORONTO (CP) - Ontario is willing to develop and pay for a provincially led national sex offender registry if Ottawa refuses, Premier
Mike Harris said Thursday.
Ontario's registry was formed last spring, but it won't help police in other provinces when Ontario's sex offenders decide to move, Harris
said at a demonstration of the registry's software. "Right this minute, a known sex offender could go down to the Toronto bus
terminal, could climb onto a bus," he said.
"Six hours later, (they could) disappear into the crowds in Montreal and another child and
another community could be at risk."
Harris said Ontario is willing to share its software with the other provinces, and
to offer legal advice pertaining to Christopher's Law, which established the legal framework for the registry last year.
After a lukewarm federal response to the idea of a national registry following a premier's meeting last month in Victoria, Harris now says Ontario may be
willing to foot the bill.
Click here to read full article.
Source: © 2001 Canadian Press